Sheen Falls Lodge Brown Bread
350g Wholemeal flour
50g Plain Flour
50g Porridge Oats
Pinch of Salt
2 level teaspoons of Bread Soda
2 large Eggs
1 dessertspoon of Sunflower Oil
- Preheat oven to 170C/325F/Gas Mark 3
- Put the flours, sieved bread soda, salt and porridge oats into a large mixing bowl and mix well together.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs together with the oil and add to the dry ingredients.
- Then mix in the buttermilk to get a ‘sloppy’ consistency.
- Pour into a 2lb loaf tin (the loaf tin should be greased with oil) and smooth the top of the loaf with a wet spoon.
- Sprinkle some seeds or porridge oats on top of the bread and bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- After an hour, remove the bread from the tin and return it to the oven to bake for a further 20 minutes .
- Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool down on a rack.
- Enjoy with some butter.